Abbey felt like her dreams of having a biological child were over.
Abbey and her husband wanted to start a family right after they got married, but over a year of trying and nothing happening, they tried 3 rounds of artificial insemination. She remembered feeling on top of the world – “this is our answer! We get to start our family!” She thought.
Sadly, none of those took, so they did additional testing. They found out her husband had some issues with his sperm, and now IVF was their best option.
She was crushed instantly and emotionally drained and upset. Why hadn’t they tested Mike sooner? Didn’t the doctor know what rollercoaster he just put them through? IVF is very expensive and they were fortunate they were able to pay for it since insurance doesn’t cover anything.
Abbey said “I don’t think one can really prepare themselves for IVF until you go through it yourself. I have a high pain tolerance and the shots didn’t necessarily bother me, but the fact that I was shooting all of these hormones into my body seemed barbaric and unnatural and I was very worried about the long-term effects of these drugs. But once again I went into IVF feeling extremely positive and on top of the world as I thought this was going to be the answer to our prayers.” When that pregnancy test came back negative, she was devastated.
Words will never be able to express what that feels like. Abbey tried to be strong with her family and friends but she knew her heartache hurt them as well. She felt so alone in her pain.
A month after failing at their first attempt of IVF, She met Dr. Marcia Schaefer at a chamber dinner. She asked Dr.Marcia for a card and when they left the dinner that night, Abbey told her husband she was going to call Dr.Marcia and tell her their story. She even called her mom that night to tell her about the woman she sat across from at dinner and told her mom how she felt that she was meant to meet her.
Abbey called Dr. Schaefer’s office a few days later to make an appointment for an adjustment. She brought the fertility issues into conversation to see what advice she could offer. Dr. Schaefer said chiropractic care often helps with fertility issues and while that was great to hear, Abbey didn’t necessarily believe it would help her.
She obviously had some belief that Dr. Schaefer would be able to help her or she wouldn’t have started seeing her, but at the same time she was a little skeptical as she had never heard of anyone going to a chiropractor to get pregnant. Abbey not only received adjustments with Dr. Schaefer but was also provided nutritional and fitness advice as well. One thing Dr.Schaefer knew for sure was that she wanted her to get pregnant and was going to help her in any way she could. This was a feeling Abbey hadn’t received from any doctor before. She always felt like a number everywhere else.
On June 28th Abbey woke up at 5:30 in the morning like a kid at Christmas and grabbed the pregnancy test out of her purse that she had bought the day before. She didn’t even tell her husband of her suspicion because she really thought there was no way she could actually be pregnant. Abbey took the test into the bathroom and laid the applicator flat on the floor after taking the test. She couldn’t believe her eyes as it immediately turned positive. She must have opened her eyes and closed them to re-look at the test 100 times before she would finally believe it was real. Abbey went screaming her husband’s name into the bedroom and he irritably asked what the heck was going on since he was sound asleep. She told him she was pregnant and he immediately hopped out of bed to come look at the test. That was a very special day for them and June 28th is a day that they will never forget.
What makes Abbey’s journey so similar to so many others?
You feel completely helpless. You’re on the schedule of the fertility medications, dealing with side effects and the emotions right along with it, or you’re at a standstill, stopped due to the huge financial toll the fertility journey is.
Will we ever have a baby of our own?
With every month that passes, every negative pregnancy test, every procedure, every positive pregnancy test that didn’t hold…you start to wear down.
You want to be “you” again.
Your husband is supportive, but you can tell emotionally, physically and financially it’s a draining journey to be on.
You hold on to hope, because your desire for a baby is so great, you’ll do whatever it takes. Little do you know, the true concern with all the drugs is greater than you know..for you and baby.
At one point, you convince yourself that maybe it’s time to look for different options, never knowing that simple choice will make all the difference in the world…
You start thinking differently and due to that, you ask different questions.
You start to have more hope, the journey seems to brighten, your load lessens.
You spend time learning yourself, growing and changing and you’re in awe of what your body is actually capable of
No drugs, no procedures, but using physiology, logic and the connection that was so distant with your spouse/significant other – your entire world has shifted.
You knew life could be better, you knew it was supposed to be like this!
Are you ready to see that world?
It’s amazing what a tragedy can bring out in you.
2010 was “my year” – I graduated from Palmer College of Chiropractic, got married and found out I was pregnant! Talk about everything happening at once! My dream year came crashing down around me on December 3rd, 2010. Do you know what the worst 3 words a new doctor, mom and wife could hear?
“You have cancer”
Within a few short months, I had three different cancer diagnoses and was given an 8.5% chance at 5 year survival with conventional chemo, radiation and surgery.
A friend of mine reached out in the middle of my storm and offered a new option. “What about this?” he asked, “Have you considered it?”
A holistic approach to healing – understanding that disease or health issues in general are the result of toxicity and deficiency – in our food, our mind, our bodies.
Improve that, improve life, regain health
This logically made sense to me, so I thought hey – what could be worse? I get healthier? I decided that the quality of the time I had here mattered more to me than the quantity. I didn’t know if this would allow my body to heal, but it had to be better than the current options I had.
Just 6 months after I began working on myself, my health, and my mindset, my scans were clear – no evidence of disease, and to this day, they remain that way.
With a renewed lease on life, I opened my practice, and was at a Chamber of Commerce dinner when I was approached by a woman wondering if I could help with a fertility concern she was having. After all the work I had done on myself for healing, I thought why couldn’t this work for her too?
As you read, she ended up pregnant – with a beautiful set of twin girls!
Who knew out of such a disaster such an amazing gift could be brought forward.
Everyone wants to promise pregnancy as a goal, but I believe that’s the wrong approach. My goal is to increase and improve your health, so not only do you have a healthier pregnancy, you also get a healthier baby!
Have you heard any of these Fertility Myths?
- Fertility Myth #1: Your first pregnancy will dictate any future pregnancies. Sometimes the scariest part of becoming pregnant a second time is the fear about reliving your first pregnancy. I hear a LOT of moms who have had such a bad first pregnancy, they are scared (and rightfully so!) to have a second pregnancy. The truth is, with preconception work done prior to pregnancy, we have a very low rate of moms not feeling well in pregnancy, but if they do, there is typically an easy fix to improve it!
- Fertility Myth #2: My husband has sperm issues, or I’ve had multiple miscarriages – I’ve been told there is nothing that can be done naturally. This is also a common concern we hear. The truth is, any time someone improves their diet, mindset, and lifestyle habits, they will achieve greater health. I specifically address issues like these and what to do in those situations, and what has worked in our clinical setting. We work in cycles of 120 days as your egg quality has been shown to change every 120 days – the hard part we have is to try to prevent pregnancy for 120 days!
- Fertility Myth #3: Lifestyle changes will never be enough for conception to happen without medication. Another thing that many want you to believe, because in reality, if it was that simple, everyone would do it! The reality with changes in lifestyle and habits is the ability to stick with it and follow through. What most people don’t realize is the #1 reason this happens is due to STRESS! We work to stop overwhelm and help you understand WHY I suggest what I do so it’s easier to understand and make the improvements to your life – It’s also the most transformational and amazing part of the journey!
- Fertility Myth #4: No one has found a reason for my infertility, so IVF is my only option. That’s ok! There are tons of reasons people are diagnosed as “infertile” or challenged with fertility. Of the unexplained infertility couples who have worked with us, The great news is, we address the root cause, so regardless of the reason or unknown reason, you will benefit!
- Fertility Myth #5: Medical intervention has the best chance at success when it comes to fertility. No one can guarantee conception, not even the most sophisticated medical interventions. What I can guarantee you is you will be significantly better prepared for pregnancy through this new understanding and information
How are we different? How is our approach unique?
You’ve spent so much time on this journey, what have you got to show for it? Our focus is unique and works well because of that approach. The science of epigenetics focuses on understanding how your environment changes how your body expresses different genes within your body. For example; vitamin D3 activates 2000 genes in the body, and has been shown to decrease chances of asthma, eczema and/or allergies when mom is taking vitamin D3 during preconception and pregnancy. Dad has some great epigenetic changes as well!
This is why our approach is focused on the health of mom and dad – baby will gain so much more health if certain things are in place prior to pregnancy – it’s a win win!
When the focus is getting pregnant, health isn’t the first focus, and our kids are paying for it. For example, take melatonin – this is praised in the medical fertility world as they give medication to time ovulation, but melatonin prevents ovulation if you’re naturally trying to become pregnant. How do you know where to start or how to distinguish what model they use?
“I felt that visiting a chiropractor for fertility was quite unconventional, especially based upon my limited familiarity with chiropractic. We had been trying over a year to become pregnant with no success. Logically, it all made sense with the adjustments and the nutrition, but it almost seemed too simple. Why wouldn’t medical doctors be doing this if it were so fundamental as getting your system working correctly? I felt it was something I could commit to, it is cheaper than the alternatives of IVF or IUI! It felt nice to have personalized attention given to me and to the matter. Dr.Marcia became a personal coach during the time I was trying to conceive and her positivity and confidence kept me on a positive path and more intrigued all the time. If I could give any advice, it would be to keep a little healthy skepticism if you need to, but don’t let it take you away from committing to the process.” Nancy O’Brien
“We had been trying for 9 months when we started seeing Dr.Marcia. Initially I had come for a well-being check, since my husband was already under care for low back problems and raved about her care. When I mentioned off hand we were trying to get pregnant, she informed me she could help! I like that Dr.Marcia goes out of her way to answer questions or explain why something is happening. It makes the journey to wellness a lot more exciting! I would recommend Dr.Marcia and chiropractic care to anyone! The amount of problems that can be positively affected by chiropractic care astounds me. I am especially grateful that my son will have benefitted by being under chiropractic care from day 2!” Stephanie Klock
Introducing “The Truth About Fertility”
We’ve never lived in a time that we have had sicker kids. Right now our kids are dealing with more adult onset diseases and cancer, autoimmune issues and diabetes than ever before. Learning to be healthy as an adult is hard enough – eating healthy, working on gratitude, moving your body – imagine how difficult it is to get a child to do the same!
My goal has been to teach the habits to the parents prior to conception, so the habits not only stick to create better health in mom and dad, but the health of baby is significantly improved as well! Imagine if you could slow or even stop potential health issues in your children by taking care of yourself first. That’s my focus, my passion, and my drive. Empowering healthy families from fertility forward.
More specifically, here’s how it works..
- Your Consultation. We will go over your past history and gain understanding and clarity of what brought you to where you are. We will then create your vision of an ideal life and learn your goals and expectations.
- An Examination. We do a thorough Spinal Health Assessment to determine your level of function and to create a baseline to work from. These examinations will be done every 12 visits to determine your progress and creates a customized plan for you
- X-rays and scans. We won’t guess on what we’re working on, so we will take an x-ray and scan of your spine to determine the severity and complexity of the subluxation complex. To see is to know; not to see is to guess, and we refuse to guess about your health! This will end your first visit, and we will then schedule your Report of Exam Findings.
- Report of Findings. During your second visit, we will share what was discovered about your health based on the Consultation, Exam, Scans and X-rays. And from there you will be provided with your customized care plan, which is the route for regaining and keeping your health. This is best attended by your spouse/significant other as well, so plan to spend 30 minutes at the office for this visit.
- Adjustments. A typical visit will last anywhere from 5-7 minutes, depending on the needs of the day. You will be checked for vertebral subluxation and if present, you will be adjusted. It’s as simple as that!
- Health Risk Assessment. If you find you’re a good fit for our office and we feel you’re a good fit for us, this computerized assessment looks at lifestyle factors and is unlike any assessment you’ve done before! You will receive a summary as well as how to start making simple changes to improve your health. Each individual is unique, and this assessment is a great starting point to see where you are!
Is this right for you? Are you..
- Open minded, and ready to consider new options?
- Ready to live the motto, “If it is to be, it’s up to me!”
- Ready to get pregnant
- Wanting to enjoy your relationship again
- Willing to make space in your life to care for a baby
- Open to understanding why and how things happen in the body
This is NOT for you if..
- You’re not willing or committed to making lifestyle changes
- You’re unwilling to change your belief systems of what is possible for you
- You don’t like learning
- You don’t think your health prior to conception will help your pregnancy or the health of your baby.
“When I was told I had fewer eggs and eggs of less quality, I had some concerns about my age and pregnancy. I was worried about not being able to get pregnant the most, for younger women they seem to have lots of time but 40 seems like time was about up. I worked at being peaceful with my age and with any outcome, and that was extremely hard but I also held space for the potential great joy for a healthy pregnancy and baby. I trusted Dr.Marcia and had an absolutely wonderful pregnancy with my son. What I loved most about pregnancy was feeling the strong connection with the baby growing inside of me. I know it’s extremely hard to want a baby so badly and not have that happen, it’s tortuous, but I know anyone would be in great hands with Dr.Marcia!” Ivy Anderson
“I felt so good during my pregnancy that the age factor didn’t even cross my mind! I’ve seen so many more women in their 40’s having healthy pregnancies that I know age is just a number you set in your mind. Feeling my daughter kick was absolutely amazing – I didn’t feel as much activity with my first child so that has been such an amazing experience! I loved the energy, and appreciated it so much week to week. I feel the care with Dr.Marcia having weekly treatments to keep my body aligned, getting some moderate exercise and eating the best I could during the entire pregnancy.” Jen Sullivan
What could it hurt to improve your own health status on your fertility journey? We hear from couples all the time that are concerned about how much time and money they have already spent on their journey, and we completely understand that frustration! While it’s true that making changes to your health takes time, you’ve spent a lot of time with what hasn’t worked, now you have the ability to have a plan, a path, and a renewed sense of hope in your journey. We’re here for you!